Glass fiber is an inorganic non-metallic material with excellent properties.
It is made of seven kinds of ore which are pyrophyllite, quartz sand, limestone, dolomite, borosilicate and borax by high-temperature melting, drawing, winding and weaving. The diameter of the monofilament is several micrometers to twenty micrometers, which is equivalent to 1/20-1/5 of a hair strand, and each bundle of fiber strands is composed of hundreds or even thousands of monofilaments.
The use of glass fiber is very extensive and the development speed is far ahead. Its characteristics are listed as follows:
(1) High tensile strength and small elongation (3%).
(2) High modulus of elasticity and good rigidity.
(3) The amount of elongation in the elastic limit is large and the tensile strength is high, so the absorption impact energy is large.
(4) It is an inorganic fiber, which is incombustible and chemically resistant.
(5) The water absorption is small.
(6) Scale stability and heat resistance are good.
(7) It has good processability and can be made into products of different shapes such as strands, bundles, felts and woven fabrics.
(8) Transparent and transparent to light.
(9) Good adhesion to the resin.
(10) The price is cheap.
(11) It is not easy to burn, and it can be melted into glassy beads at high temperature.
Glass fiber is commonly used as a reinforcing material in composite materials, electrical insulating materials and thermal insulation materials, circuit boards and other fields of the national economy.